Followers

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I will miss her..

She was a mentor, a friend, sister, counselor. It has been more a week and I am already feeling the loss. She was always so energetic and bubbly that even to last days of her life, I could not believe her when she said that she was leaving.  Lying down with her eyes closed and tablets inside her mouth, she practically shouted when her husband, Prof Nik called out that I was there. She's immediately swallowed the tablet and shouted "Huh...Siti is here.......?" In her pain, she still remembered to ask me about my researches. When I told her that I'm teaching STS for trainee teachers at IPG, she enthusiastically exclaimed that I should take the opportunity to do researches there. We talked for a while.  I should have talked more (Prof Nik reminded me not to make her talk too much) but anyhow ended up as the listener. She talked about her students, family and indicated that she might not be well again. While talking, she requested for more drinks and said that it tasted good that day.....

Allahyarhamah Prof Dr Khalijah Mohd Salleh was my supervisor when I was doing my post graduate studies in UKM. I first met her at the physics department (PPFG) in 2004 when I started my PhD. I came to her, determined with a research in mind, but she was so full of ideas which I finally accepted and adapted into my research. The first year was full of bickering between the two of us mainly about my researches. In April 2005, I came for my supervision and she asked me if I was ready to present at an international conference. I panicked but welcomed the idea of visiting India for the International Conference of Physics Education (ICPE) 2005. I was offered a poster presentation, and immediately prepared the poster. By the end of 2005, I presented an oral presentation at an international conference in Penang (CoSMEd). From there on I was presenting research papers locally and internationally such as at the ICPE 2006 (Japan), ICPE 2007 (Marrakech), SciEd Asia Pacific 2007 (Bangkok) and participated in the ALOP ASIA 2006 workshop. She was always with me, being supportive and listened patiently while I practiced my presentations.

The one thing I could not forget about her was that she was always trying not to burden me financially when she invited me to present at the international conferences. She would either be paying for my registration fees or tried to find financial supports so that I could attend these conferences. We always took advantage of these trips by visiting places, take short tours and enjoyed the foreign food.
ICPE 2006-Japan

Visit to Rajashtan after Alop Asia

Conducting a workshop at ICPE 2007 Marrakech

SciEd Asia Pacific 2007 Bangkok

With Prof Nik & Dr Sakinah during the ICPE2007 dinner in Marrakech 
Prof Khalijah had always been a very dedicated supervisor. She will take my work to her colleagues and get second opinions if she needed to. She respected my expertise in education field and was willing to give in and accepted my ideas. Her passion was in education researches and she was always trying to find ways to make physics easier and meaningful to her students, and relate the laws of physics to the Al Quran.

I know that I have not visited her often after completing my studies. Sometimes she would call me and asked me to present at workshops or give talks to school children. I would also visit her, but not as often as before.. So why I would I miss her..? Well....before she leaves, I always felt that I have someone to turn to if I ever needed any support; professionally or even emotionally. At the back of my mind, she will always there if I ever needed her. But she is gone now..so I will have to spread my wings and fly on my own now..as far as she has taught me to. To Allahyarhamah Prof Khalijah, thank you so much for all that you have done. Al Fatihah..

2 comments:

niasulaiman said...

Salam. Thankyou for this posting on my mom. Do continue with your work. I am sure that my mom will like it very very much. And thanks for the photos!! :)))
-niasulaiman-

Siti Hendon said...

Hi there..! Thanks to you :) Hope that you & the family will strong after she is gone. She really loved & was very proud of her kids..